Friday, January 1

Talking Light

Work In Progress Spring 2009 D/Load Only.
ImageHost.org
The story of the Talking Light piece is basically that of an older man who questions, not only decisions he made as a teenager, but also if the events he remembers from that time happened at all. "A dead infant clutching a ring with an inscription the teenager cannot read" is the stuff of dreams. The following stories in the show may or may not shed light on the inscription. Questions remain unanswered. The Residents study death, not as a horrific end, but as the ultimate question that we all ask while wondering if any of it is even real.

ImageHost.org
"What are ghosts" ask The Residents - spirits of those no longer inhabiting the flesh, but unable to leave their lives behind? Or could ghosts be a manifestation of something even less tangible, like loneliness, unfulfilled desire or isolation? In a world where nearly everything has become defined and categorized, how do we fill our obvious, purely human need for the fuzzy , vague and supernatural - with TV commercials?

The ghost of a morbidly obese woman haunts her lesbian lover, filling the void of death with food commercials and Dr. Phil. A man becomes obsessed by the spirit of an executed serial killer who stuffed the mouths of his victims with Pudding Roll Ups, an extinct kid's food from the 1980's. A dead boa constrictor named Leonard (after Leonard Cohen, of course) plagues the mind of its former owner, currently consuming Oscar Meyer hot dogs by the dozen. These are just a few of the "ghost stories" told through the magic of The Residents' Talking Light.



Talking Light Cd 2010
ImageHost.org

1 Demons Dance Alone
2 Sleepwalker
3 Six More Miles
4 They Are The Meat
5 Semolina
6 My Window
7 Death In Barstow
8 The Old Woman
9 Lillie
10 Bury Me Not
11 Die Stay Go

"Live In Rehearsal, Santa Cruz, California January 20, 2010 - Selected Songs".

Available only at the European tour 2010.



Tour Schedule
ImageHost.org
January 23 - Santa Cruz CA - Rio Theater
Story: Pudding In Disguise
No Mirror People pieces
First show
January 29 - San Diego CA - Birch North Park Theater
Story: Pudding In Disguise
January 30 - Los Angeles CA - Henry Fonda Theater
Story: Pudding In Disguise
January 31 - Tucson AZ - Rialto Theater
Story: Milton (performed live)
Mirror People 4 before Lillie
February 2 - Austin TX - Stubbs
Story: Florence
February 3 - Dallas TX - Granada
Story: Florence
3rd Story (Unseen Sister) replaced by: Milton
4th Story: The Unseen Sister (first encore, before Bury Me Not)
February 4 - Memphis TN - Hi Tone
Story: Pudding In Disguise
February 5 - Atlanta GA - Variety
Story: Maggie
Special Guest: Molly Harvey during The Old Woman
February 7 - Washington DC - 9:30 Club
Story: Maggie
February 8 - Philadelphia PA - World Cafe
Story: Leonard
February 9 - New York NY - Webster Hall
Story: Leonard
February 10 - Boston MA - Middle East
Story: Leonard
New song in set: He Also Serves
February 12 - Montreal QC - Club Soda
Story: Mother
February 13 - Toronto Ontario - Opera House
Story: Pudding In Disguise
February 15 - Chicago IL - Logan Square
Story: Howard
February 16 - Milwaukee WI - Turner Hall
Story: Howard
Final show of first leg.

Goatie has provided the following (and above) information based on his careful listening to the USA RSD recordings.

USA Setlist

Demons Dance Alone
Sleepwalker
Story: The Talking Light
Six More Miles
Mirror People 1 (not in Santa Cruz)
They Are The Meat
He Also Serves (only shows Boston and after)
Mirror People 2 (not in Santa Cruz)
Story: (see individual shows)
Semolina
My Window
Death In Barstow
Mirror People 3 (not in Santa Cruz)
Story: The Unseen Sister
Mirror People 4 (not in Santa Cruz)
The Old Woman
Lille
Bury Me Not
Die-Stay-Go

Story breakdown:

The Talking Light: all shows

The Unseen Sister: all shows

Milton: Tucson, Dallas

Pudding In Disguise: Santa Cruz, San Diego, Los Angeles, Memphis, Toronto

Florence: Austin, Dallas

Maggie: Atlanta, Washington DC

Leonard: Philly, New York, Boston

Mother: Montreal

Howard: Chicago, Milwaukee


Europe:
ImageHost.org
talking_light.jpg (60 KB)talking_light_set.jpg (50 KB)

April 26 - Rehearsal Nijmegen Holland
April 27 - Caen France - Le Cargo
April 28 - Brussels Belgium - Ancienne Belgique
April 29 - Aarhus Denmark - Vox Hall

May 1 - Bergen Norway - Bergenfest
May 2 - Oslo Norway - Sentrum Scene
May 4 - Centrum Sztuki IMPART Wrozlaw Poland
May 5 - Laznia Nowa Krakow Poland
May 6 - Berlin Germany - Huxley’s
May 7 - UK - ATP Festival
May 9 - Den Haag NL - Paard van Troje
May 10 - Hamburg Germany - Fabrik
May 11 - Frankfurt Germany - Das Bett
May 12 - Deposito Giordani Pordenone Italy
May 13 - Rome Italy - Teatro San Raffaele
May 14 - Bologna Italy - Estragon
May 15 - Milan Italy - Teatro Leonardo
May 16 - Lyon France - Theatre des Celestins
Nuits Sonores Festival


November 5 - Kulturhus Larvik Norway
November 6 - Union Scene Drammen Norway
November 7 - Byscenen Trondheim Norway
November 9 - Vega Copenhagen Denmark
November 10 - Centre Pompidou Paris France
November 11 - Centre Pompidou Paris France
November 12 - KZ MIR Moscow Russia
November 14 - Zal Ojidaniya Club St. Petersburg Russia
November 16 - De Kruen Kortijk Belgium
November 17 - ZAKK Dusseldorf GermanyNovember 19 - Archa Prague Czech Republic
November 20 - Saint Ghetto Festival Bern Switzerland
November 21 - El Lol AL Zurich Switzerland


Dollar General Cd 2010
ImageHost.org

01 - black scars
02 - burning madrone
03 - mary achi
04 - memory of transgression
05 - rats fight for water
06 - restrained in the world
07 - carlos buys a round
08 - dollhouse
09 - last rites for billy bago
10 - blow row
11 - the red powder
12 - shoeless thorn game
13 - temple of dragan
14 - war zone
15 - hazzled by mamasan
16 - drunk again in van horn, texas

Here's a full length recording of the music used as the "walk in" music during the Talking Light tour. When the audience arrived at the theater and entered the performance area, they were greeted with this music (assuming the show hadn't started already). Needless to say (and we'll say it anyhow) that this is more instrumental, moody music, and apparently the title comes from a memorable rest stop in Texas during the most recent tour. And, yes, you read correctly, this will be the last Ralph America hand numbered limited edition. Because of that we are making a few more available to be sure everyone gets one. So there will be 850 copies available this time. The package is a 6 panel digipak, hand numbered with yer standard wax cylinder, vinyl, I mean compact disc.



tldogtag.jpg (8 KB)
Chicken Scratching
ImageHost.org
Talking Light DogTag

1. Real Fib
2. The Toy Factory
3. Why Didn't I Think Of That
4. Ghost Music
5. The Eye Scream Title
6. Centerless
7. Menu Music
8. Pink


tlpass.jpg (12 KB)
Ozan
ImageHost.org
Talking Light Badge

1. Arkansas
2. Third Second Night
3. Six Things
4. Tastes Like Chicken
5. Relief
6. Old Hound
7. Hill
8. Brothers
9. Last Hope
10. Notchi
11. Ozan 2-step

Available on the Talking Light Tour

Randy's Ghost Stories
ImageHost.org

1 Talking Light
2 Perchance To Dream
3 The Sleepwalker
4 Ghost Snake
5 Florence
6 Milton
7 Pudding In Disguise
8 The Unseen Sister
Bonus 1 Walking Women
Bonus 2 Mutts With Mustaches

Sold on tour during the Talking Light euro part of the tour in the fall of 2010. Contains 8 spooky stories from the Talking Light project, plus 2 bonus videos.

Zip001
Zip002

ImageHost.org
Brussels Belgium - Ancienne Belgique ImageHost.org
Edited version of the Belgian Concert.28th April 2010.
Recorded from the front row.Excellent video quality but sound is not so good.
(avi 650Mb)


Randy & Chuck
randy.jpg (14 KB)chuck.jpg (15 KB)
bob.jpg (13 KB)carlos_retired.jpg (4 KB)
Bob & Carlos (Retired)

21 comments:

MrXindeed said...

Nice!
Thanks!
I'll be at the Memphis show and will hopefully record it.

Anonymous said...

At least be honest about the fact that you're a cheap bastard, isntead of making up those pathetic excuses.

Anonymous said...

Hey you...Mil gracias por toda esta magia que compartes con nosotros de verdad te estoy eternamente agradecido llevo 16 años oyendolos y diablos cada vez me dominan mas saludos desde mexico......

Anonymous said...

Thank you once again Weescoosa!!! Great stuff!

Anonymous said...

That was quick!
Thanks Weescoosa!
Amazing stuff!

Anonymous said...

Quicky Quick Quick...Thanks for Ozan. No shows in my area, otherwise I would buy the Event Pass with download code Myself!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing all this wonderful stuff! Is it possible for you to upload ''diskomo 2000'' and Anganok(with the vocals)? If no, thanks anyway for your help,
Bye my friend!
Chris

matt said...

This is an excellent project you're undertaking, Weecoosa. Have you seen the show yet?

Audiozobe said...

Thank you very very much. Never had the chance to see them in person, myself, so this is a pretty unique opportunity for me.

Anonymous said...

2 day ago i travelled 300km to see the residents @ bruxelles. it was really a great performance, but sadly the rehersal-cd wasn't available!
greets...

Anonymous said...

awesome, keep up the sweet work, i'm also awaiting the rehearsal cd, not to mention dollar general and the bunny boy comics

Anonymous said...

so frustrated - got a rez-ticket 4 hamburg this evening, but can't travel there. *sniff*

Anonymous said...

any idea why the bergen show was removed from rsd?

Anonymous said...

The Bergen show was removed because there was a mix up of recordings, and what was put on RSD was pt.1 Bergen pts 2 & 3 Aarhus

Anonymous said...

i dont understand, why wouldn't they just re upload a fixed file instead of removing completely?, is that how the file here is?

Anonymous said...

I assumed that those springy-hair wig hood things the musicians wore were specially-made for them... but then yesterday I saw one in a local costume shop!

siys said...

Stv63: I hope you change your mind about shutting this page down. My understanding is it's poaching or frowned upon to post links for other downloads in the comments of blogs. Perhaps I'm wrong about that, but others might think the same thing, but now that you have invited others to share I'm sure they will. Thanks for this awesome blog you share with us!!

kg said...

damn - wish i would have gotten the Frankfurt Germany - Das Bett show before the RS link was gone...
anyway, i wanted to send you the updated lyrics to the WIP talking light. the [*] indicates a undecipherable word or two. otherwise, it rest sounds pretty accurate. enjoy -

TALKING LIGHT

Once when I was a lonely teenager (x3)

I wandered into an unfamiliar area several miles from home.
The land was badly eroded, and as I looked up the small ravine, I saw a weathered shack just up ahead.

Once when I was a lonely teenager
It wasn't very inviting. (x3)

As I got closer, I had the feeling that it must be deserted.
I might have walked on by until I noticed a faded piece of paper stuck to the door
and became curious to see what it said.
In large, shaking letters were the following words: "If you find my baby inside, please bury him."

Lost in a light
Lost in a light
Lost in a lack of [*touching] the....[*] (devil?)
Lost in a light
Lost in a light
Lost in a lack of love

Startled by such a strange message, I took the note off the door and realized that it was several pages long.
Here is the conclusion:

"I cannot stay here no more.
Something has my baby in that house, and I can't get him back.
I don't know what it is except there is some kind of voice surrounding him.
Every time I try to reach into the light and grab my baby, it burns my hands, but it don't seem to be hurtin' him none. Some kind of voice talking out of that light and telling me to 'Find the ring! Find the ring!
I've tried to find it.
God knows I've tried.
I tore up the furniture.
i ripped up all the floor boards.
I even tore the wallpaper off, I can't - I can't find no ring anywhere.
I ain't ate or slept for three days now, and I don't know what I can do except go and try to find some help,
but I'm so weak.
I don't know if I can make it back I'm so hungry.
Please bless us God, because I think we may have somehow wound up in hell.
I get the feeling that it must be my baby's fault, but I can see that he's done nothing to deserve this.
Sincerely, Edna Walkins

{pt1)

kg said...

(pt 2 - concl)

Lost in a light
Lost in a light
Lost in a lack of [*touching] the... [*] (devil?)
Lost in a light
Lost in a light
Lost in a lack of love


After reading the note, I slowly opened the door, and walked into the shack.
Except for a small area around an old bassinet in the center of the room,
the interior of the small building was in a state of total chaos.
I slowly worked my way through the jumble of broken furniture, loose floorboards,
and other rubble until I finally reached the side of the bassinet.
It was strangely spotless, and the top was covered by a clean, white blanket.
Apprehensively, I reached out and slowly pulled away the blanket revealing the perfectly-formed skeleton
of a baby clutching a wedding ring in its right hand.

Horrified, I could think of nothing else to do but follow the poor woman's wishes,
and bury her baby's sad remains.
I couldn't bear to touch the pathetic little skeleton,
so I somehow managed to drag the bassinet back out through the rubble into the ravine outside.
Using a stick and my fingers, I scratched out a shallow hole in the dry dirt,
but just as I was about to dump the baby skeleton into it,
I noticed something engraved on the ring.
By this time, I was so deeply disturbed that I wanted to just leave everything and run home,
but something compelled me to move closer.

The touch of the small, boney fingers against my own added the sensation of nausea to my already unsettled stomach,
but I finally managed to free the ring.
As I brought it closer to my eyes, I could make out a few tiny words:
"The mother embraces hatred.
Hatred embraces..." but that was it.
The last word was all scratched out.
No longer able to contain my feelings of fear, disgust, and confusion,
I dumped the ring and the baby skeleton into the hole, quickly covered them up with dirt, and ran home.

Lost in a light
Lost in a light
Lost in a lack of [*touching] the....[*] (devil?)
Lost in a light
Lost in a light
Lost in a lack of love

Once when I was a lonely teenager (x12)

No one has ever believed my story,
and I have tried to convince myself that it must have been a dream
induced by the instability of adolescence.
I take comfort from that thought.

Unknown said...

You are a saint, I wish I found this page before shelling out some clams for most of the Live shows, but it was all worth it and for a good cause. Are you planning on uploading any of the new europe tour and dvd? If not, I could help you out a bit as I have a couple of the new live shows.

Anonymous said...

got any links for 2011 tour?